Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Unreality

There's the real world and then there's the world I create in my dreams. The latter is far more preferable to me.

You see, in my world people are kind and they truly care about each other. In my world people aren't bullied or discriminated because they are different. Things like religion, weight, height, skin colour, ethnicity, illness (physical or mental), sexual orientation or whether I prefer cats to dogs means absolutely nothing. It's neither good nor bad, it's just the way it is. In my world people don't know how to be rude and the varying differences of opinions don't cause hatred but mutual respect.

Of course it's impossible to live in such a fantasy. The real world can be cruel and the people in it aren't always understanding, compassionate or empathic.

Today I've been catching up on all the articles and blogs that I haven't had time to read. Of course I focus more on Fat Acceptance and mental health related materials because those are the areas that affect me the most.  

After reading so many wonderful blogs breaking down the misconceptions and hatred of fat people I was buoyed to a point of - almost - glee. I wanted to leap in the air and shout "YES!" and giggle at the absurdity of my juvenile reaction. Just as I was about to leap joyfully from my bed I caught a glimpse at some comments left by people who can be termed "trolls".

Immediate death of leaping and juvenile giggling ensued.

It struck me that these people, who are trying to argue that fat is unhealthy, that we're a drain on the medical system or - and this was perhaps my favourite - we eat enough for 15 people while others are starving to death, these people use unsubstantiated myths and label them as "fact". Of course this has been noted and discussed on many Fat Acceptance blogs so I won't harp on about it. I was merely struck by the absurdity of it all.

It seems that I'm not the only one who prefers to dally in a fantasy world. While that's comforting - I'm not nearly as crazy as I thought - it's also disheartening as my fantasy world is all about acceptance, while theirs appear to be based on hatred.

Maybe I'm too sensitive and far too susceptible to negative opinions. Then again, maybe not. It's not necessarily unrealistic to want to live in an accepting world, although it's perhaps a little naive.

Right now I think I'd rather spend more time in the unreality, even if it means I'm labelled - yet again - crazy.

1 comment:

Kari said...

It can be so hard to focus wholly on the good. I know for me, it has become far to easy to buy into the negative. Hold onto the joy, babe. It's incredibly difficult, but it's what matters the most.